The purpose of our organization:
– To advance the general welfare of the Signal Hill area, so that its citizens, businesses, and civic organizations shall prosper.
– To advance increased interest and membership in the chamber, by proper marketing, all inclusive social and business events and regular meetings of the Chamber.
Below is a list of the various committees. Each Board Member shall serve on at least one committee each year. Committees are open to all Chamber members unless otherwise noted. Each committee shall have a Chairperson who shall be appointed by the President, subject to approval of the Board of Directors. Committee Chairpersons shall appoint a Secretary to take minutes at all Committee meetings and shall submit a written report to the Board within one week of each meeting. Committees shall report to and be subject to the Board of Directors. With the exception of the Executive Committee needing to take action between Board meetings, no committee may take any action which may bind the Chamber to any contract, have a financial impact on the Chamber, or have any adverse effect upon the Chamber or its reputation in the community, absent discussion with and approval by the Board.
– This committee consists of the President, 1st and 2nd Vice Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer, Immediate Past President and Legal Counsel. The Executive Committee may exercise the powers of the Board when the Board is not in session, subject to a report to and ratification by the Board at its next succeeding meeting of any action taken. Three (3) officers shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. The meeting may be called by the Chairman or by three (3) members of the committee.
BUDGET & FINANCE COMMITTEE
– This committee is open to all members of the Board of Directors. The Budget and Finance Committee shall submit an annual budget to the Board for their approval at their regular meeting in July of each year.
AMBASSADORS & MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
– This committee is open to all members of the Chamber. The purpose of the committee is to build membership, assist members with their grand openings, ribbon cuttings, and mixers, and to assist the Chamber in meeting the needs of our members.
GOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS/LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE
– This committee is open to all members of the Chamber. The purpose of the committee is to meet with local city, county, state, and federal legislative representatives, and other chamber representatives, to make recommendations regarding proposed legislation affecting businesses.
– This committee is comprised of Past Presidents of the Chamber and open to other members of the Chamber who may be appointed by the President and approved by the Board. The committee shall be responsible for nominating persons for the Board’s approval to fill any vacancy on the Board, for nominating a slate of at least one candidate for each of the positions available on the Board for the annual election of directors by the general membership, conducting the election of Directors at the June Membership Meeting and the election of Officers at the July Board of Directors meeting.
COMMUNITY AFFAIRS & LUNCHEONS COMMITTEE
– The purpose of the committee is to arrange for the Chamber’s monthly membership meeting program; promote Chamber, City, and community events via e-mail broadcasts and press-releases; and to arrange for Chamber members to volunteer to help at various Chamber and community events (such as the City-sponsored Halloween Carnival, Breakfast/Brunch with Santa, SpringFest Egg Hunt, neighborhood festivals, and National Night Out).
WEBSITE & ADVERTISING COMMITTEE
– The purpose of the committee is to maintain the Chamber’s website and advertising for members on the site.
SOCIALS & MIXERS COMMITTEE
– This committee is open to all members and is responsible for coordinating our monthly Second Thursdays mixer and other social events for the Chamber (e.g., theatre nights, harbor cruises, pre-game sporting events) to provide our members with an opportunity to socialize and network in informal settings. There may be one or more subcommittees for different social events.
– This committee is open to all members and is responsible for planning and conducting one or more fundraisers each year (e.g., Golf Tournament, Casino Night). There may be one or more subcommittees for different events.
SPECIAL EVENTS COMMITTEE
– The purpose of this committee is to plan and conduct special events such as the Chamber’s annual holiday party and other service or fund-raising events such as health fairs. There may be one or more subcommittees for different events.
COMMUNITY VOLUNTEERS COMMITTEE
– This committee provides a great opportunity to network and to be of service to the local community. Committee members are involved in getting the word out, via telephone and/or e-mail, of the need for volunteers to help at various chamber and community events (such as the City-sponsored Halloween Carnival, Breakfast with Santa, SpringFest Egg Hunt, neighborhood festivals, and National Night Out) and/or actually volunteering a few hours of their time at the events.